Friday 22nd May 2020
Dear Parents and Carers
RE: Reopening the school for children in Year R, 1 and Year 6 from 1st June 2020
We as a school have been carefully planning for the reopening of the school on 1st June 2020 should all the conditions as part of the Government’s Conditional Plan be met. The Government are due to make this decision on 28th May.
Should the Government give schools permission to open we will notify parents and Carers by Text Message and by placing a message on the scrolling banner on the Home Page of our website.
Part of our plan is to do our best to insure that the pupils will stick to “Social Distancing” as recommended by the government.
Social Distancing Measures
- Children will be taught how to follow social distancing rules on the school site.
- Class sizes will be adjusted to no more than 15 and seating will be adjusted to allow for social distancing in classroom and work areas.
- Children will walk on the left in single file when moving around the building.
- The use of toilets by children will be staggered and include toilet facilities across the school site as appropriate.
- Children will maintain social distancing during staggered playtimes and lunchtimes.
- Year R, Year 1, Year 6 and our Key worker children will be kept separate from each other so that the groups do not mix except for siblings at the end of the school day for collection
- Older children will go to the classes of their younger/est sibling to be released at the end of the school day, to ensure that social distancing can be maintained when leaving the school site with their parent or carer.
- In case of an emergency such as Fire. Usual evacuation procedures will apply. Children will observe social distancing rules when lining up at the designated meeting points.
- Children will be released to their parent or carer adhering to social distancing rules at the end of the school day and leave the site
Good Sanitation and Hygiene.
- Increased cleaning has been put into place with our cleaning contractors to include cleaning during the working day as well as after school hours.
- All stake holders will be required to use hand sanitiser on entry to the building and on exiting the building.
- Children will be expected to use hand sanitiser when they enter and exit the hall on all occasions.
- Equipment that cannot be easily cleaned such as soft toys cushions have been removed from classrooms
- All play equipment will be regularly cleaned and sanitised after each use
- Children will not share personal pencil case equipment or school equipment in the classroom.
- The curriculum for all Year Groups may have to be adjusted due to social distancing and safety measures e.g. non-contact P.E lessons, Year R children not being able to use playdough or other materials that cannot be cleaned easily after use.
Access to the school
- The school office and building will remain closed to parents. If parents wish to contact the school this can be achieved via email Headteacher@st-simon.kent.sch.uk or via telephone between 9:30 and 11:00a.m. and 2:00p.m-3:00p.m
- If children need to be collected during the school day or need to be dropped off after normal start of the day this can be arranged but please can parents keep to social distancing and only one parent in the foyer at any time.
- Any appointments with staff will be made via telephone and not face to face unless this cannot be avoided.
The Beginning of the School Day (see Fig 1)
- School is open from 8:40a.m all children will enter through the front door at the office reception for 8:55a.m. the start of the normal school day
- Only one parent or carer to drop off and collect.
- Parents are asked not to cross the coned area
- Parents will use the one-way system by entering at the gate on Noakes Meadow and leaving after drop off through the side gate into the alley way next to the meadow.
- Staff will be available to help with directing and caring for pupils so that they get safely to their classrooms
The End of the School Day (see Fig 2)
- The children will go to the classroom of the youngest sibling for collection
- Year 1 and Key worker children and their older siblings can be collected from the key stage 1 playground. Parents are asked to keep to strict social distancing using the marked footsteps as a guide to the recommended two metres
- Year R and Year 6 parents will enter through the staff carpark to the Key Stage 2 playground keeping to strict social distancing and leave by the same route.
- Parents and carers are asked not to speak to the class teachers and leave the site promptly.
- Parents not abiding social distancing measure could be restricted access to the school and may have to make other arrangements for collecting and dropping off children.
- No parents will be allowed to park in the school carpark
- Parents are asked not to park in Noakes Meadow and show consideration for our neighbours.
- All parents for the safety of all will be asked to keep their social distance when travelling to school
This is a very difficult time for all of us, life isn’t as we know it and may not be for some time. We all need to work together for the safety of all we will keep our planning under constant review and make any necessary adjustments if the need arises.
Peter McCabe Headteacher