Our School Councillors.
Year 1- Erin and Ify
Year 2-Sienna and Sanyog
Year 3- Isabel and Sofia
Year 4- Kavithan and Ruth
Year 5- Olivia and Kwadwo
Year 6-Lexie, Igor, Nshira Aani S,
Lydia, Kiara, Jakub and Josef
What is the school council ?
Our school council is a group of pupils who represent the views of all children across the school, and give them the opportunity to make their voices heard and feel part of our school community.
We help to make changes and improvements, to make the school a nicer place for everyone.
Our School council has representatives from each year group .We listen and make decisions to improve our school. We can ask questions of our school leaders and help to fill in the gaps that they don’t see.
We act as role models and help the children in our school to keep our school values and five caring c’s and develop into good citizens.
We organise fundraising events for charities and find ways to support our local community and protect the environment.
What makes a good school councillor?
- A School Councillor needs to be able to:
- speak out
- take their role seriously
- put across good ideas
- care for others
- be a good role model who can be trusted
- be reliable
- keep to the subject
- show enthusiasm
How to become a school councillor.
At St Simon’s every class from years 1-6 chooses two representatives to be members of the school council.
•Voting for council members takes place at the beginning of the school year.
•Before they are voted for, nominees have to give a speech to their class explaining why they want to be on the council.
What will our school council do?
- The school council will hold regular meetings to discuss ways in which we can improve our school.
- The Councillors from each year group will present the views of their classmates. They will provide feedback in a number of ways:
- through the school website
- in class discussions and assemblies
- using the School Council noticeboard.
- The school council also meet with the school governors to discuss their plans for the year ahead.
What the school council could change?
There are many projects and aspects of school life that the School Council could get involved with such as:
- Areas around school e.g. cloakrooms, toilets
- Equipment for our playground
- ICT equipment/suggest apps for iPads
- School environment – Litter – Recycling
- Raising money for charity
- Improving our classrooms
- Helping to organise special events/competitions
- Helping shape our curriculum
- Helping to build networks to support our local community
How can pupils contribute their ideas?
If you would like to put your ideas forward to the school council:
• Speak to a school council representative.
• Post your ideas in the suggestion box which or hand them to your class councillor.